The Early Literacy Specialist (ELS) supports and promotes early literacy and early learning for children 0-6 throughout the County of Renfrew. The ELS provides resources, workshops, seminars and consultations for parents, caregivers, early childhood professionals and full day kindergarten staff.
The Early Literacy Specialist:
- Visits community partners and programs to offer support, provide resources and develop tailored training workshops for professionals working with families.
- Provides resource and research materials on early learning and early literacy.
- Trains professionals and parents on early learning and literacy concepts.
- Offers on-site program evaluations and recommendations.
- Work within the Early Learning Framework and Full-day Early Learning Curriculum.
- Refers families and professionals to community programs.
- Uses current data to guide training workshops and resources being developed.
- Link to other community partners such as preschool speech & language, parenting programs, libraries and childcare programs.
What is Early Literacy?
- The set of skills that children will use to learn to read, write and communicate.
- Early literacy begins prenatally.
- It combines a child’s ability to speak, to listen and to experience, with their ability to understand, to create and to talk about the ideas, events and experiences in their world.
- Early literacy skills evolve in relation to a child’s interaction with their family and community environment.
- Key components are language play with rhymes, songs, books and make-believe play.